Wednesday, April 23, 2014

May Flowers





Daily painting turned into weekly painting this last week.  I could blame Holy Week, and Easter,  and deviled eggs, but I won't do any blaming.
Daily painting is proving to be quite a challenge for me.  My usual “painting rhythm” is furious painting with days of rest and contemplation in between.  Knowing this, I took up the challenge, and it has been a great experience for me.  I just have to make it work on a more daily basis. I am having a lot of fun!
Daily I do work in my head; read, listen, look, and soak in the environment.  Many things will trigger paintings in my head.  Working on gold leaf was an idea formed after a trip to Collegeville to see the St. John’s Bible in person.   The “presence”  of the gold leaf made me feel that God’s presence in the landscapes that I love could be shown by painting on gold leaf.  This has been more of a challenge than I expected.  I have been working  to make the outcome luminous, not schmaltzy. 

I'm getting closer with this little work.  Prairie grasses, meadows and fields all are lovely spots.  The tall grasses waving in the breezes give movement to the landscape.  This is what I was trying to convey in this small work.  Our April showers today and tomorrow will bring us closer to these May flowers. For more information on this painting Click Here

So today it is the hope of May Flowers.

Blessings on your day.
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment